Posted 4 years, 4 months ago (0 comments)
The Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year! Founded in 1990 as the National Graves' Disease Foundation, the GDATF has been providing help and hope to patients and family members for two and a half decades! Founder and Chair Emeritus Nancy Hord Patterson, Ph.D. (pictured left) recalls, “When I was initially diagnosed...I began to look for information, and for people to talk to that had faced the same concerns. When this proved impossible, I began an effort to start this Foundation. With the support of my Endocrinologist and Reconstructive surgeon, I was led to medical experts both nationally and internationally who were most willing to share their expertise.” When Dr. Lawrence C. Wood, founder of the Thyroid Foundation of America, joined our organization as a director, our focus expanded to assisting patients with Graves' disease, thyroid eye disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, thyroid nodules, and related disorders.
Without access to email or Internet, the Foundation’s early communications were accomplished primarily via phone and snail mail. Today, the Foundation provides a full range of services, including:
- Free online informational publications and educational videos on specific topics of interest.
- An online community forum, hosted by trained facilitators.
- Educational meetings and conferences, featuring internationally recognized experts.
- A network of volunteer-led community support groups.
- One-on-one support via a toll-free phone line and e-mail.
- An e-newsletter and print newsletter featuring current news and information.
- An online physician registry, featuring specialists in treating Graves’ disease and thyroid eye disease.
- An active social media community on Facebook and Twitter, where patients and family members can seek information and support.
With the exception of our members-only print newsletter (and educational events with catered meals), all of our services are provided free to the public. As a small nonprofit organization, we rely on contributions from people like you so that we can continue to help patients and family members. Please consider a donation to the GDATF's 25th Anniversary Fund - every single dollar helps!
We would like to extend our sincere appreciation to all of the wonderful volunteers and donors who have supported us for the last 25 years. Here's to another 25!