Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 April 4, 2020 20:23:40

SamanthaHuneycutt

Graves Disease and Radioactive Iodine Treatment

Hello all!
My name is Samantha Huneycutt and I am currently 21 years old and a college student at East Carolina University studying Public Health and Sociology! I was diagnosed with Graves Disease at the ripe age of 15, after waking up one morning with a heart rate of 163! It was particularly hard because I was a track and field runner and hurdler, so workouts every day would skyrocket my heart rate into the lower 200's. I was on methimazole for a number of years, and because it slowed my metabolism but I was still consuming the same amount of food as I was when I had a fast metabolism, I gained close to 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I kept fluctuating in and out of remission until the summer of 2018. I received the radioactive iodine treatment and have been on levothyroxine ever since! In that time I raised over $500 for the GDATF for a portion of my senior high school project. I'm currently on 175 MCG (.175 MG) of my medication, and it's up so high because I am awful at remembering to take it so my lab results would always come out low. My family has a history of hypothyroidism, but it's hard to pinpoint if mine was caused by genetics because mine was originally hyper and also because the area I live in, Mooresville North Carolina has clusters of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer. Just thought I'd share my story because I was particularly young to get diagnosed with a thyroid disease. I look forward to reading everyone's comments!

#2 April 6, 2020 17:49:06

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Graves Disease and Radioactive Iodine Treatment

Hello - I remember when you were doing your senior project…time flies! Thanks so much for your support and for sharing your story. Hope that you are doing OK with school with all the closures.

Being consistent with meds is so key. I got into a routine where I put the meds out and pour a glass of water before I go to bed at night. Then I see the water & that's a reminder to take the meds. A phone reminder might also be helpful.

Take care!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

• Root
  • » GDATF
  • » Graves Disease and Radioactive Iodine Treatment [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2020 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation