Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 July 18, 2019 08:43:45

alsorkin

Rapid onset of double vision-TED

I am an 81yr old man with no prior thyroid or eye issues until a few months ago. My double vision is quite severe requiring use of an eye patch on one eye while driving but not while using a computer or reading. An MRI revealed swelling and inflammation of the muscles of both eyes. Thankfully, no pain.

After my neuro-opthalmologist reviewed my blood tests and saw high TSI (263% of baseline) diagnosed this as TED I was seen by a endocrinologist and put on levothyroxine but suggested that thyroid removal was likely going to be needed. After 4 weeks with very positive blood test results I was also just put on a block-and-replace regime of treatment by adding methimazole. Next endo doc appointment in 3 weeks.

If thyroid removal surgery is recommended soon is there a surgeon in the Atlanta GA area to consider?

#2 July 18, 2019 18:54:41

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Rapid onset of double vision-TED

Hello and welcome - The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons and the American Head & Neck Society both have search engines where you can locate a surgeon near you.

https://www.endocrinesurgery.org/Membership/Find-a-Surgeon

https://www.ahns.info/find-a-physician/

Make sure you get someone who does the procedure frequently (I've heard varying numbers, but approx. 35 or more per year) and who is familiar with thyroidectomy specifically for autoimmune thyroid disease.

Wishing you all the best!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

• Root
  • » GDATF
  • » Rapid onset of double vision-TED [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2019 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation