Hi! I'm so glad to have found this board! I was diagnosed two seeks ago with GD have no one in real life with any personal experience.
I've had symptoms since last February, but the last 10 months have been so horrid with ongoing health problems due to withdrawal from a highly addictive a benzodiazepene, klonopin, which I had been taking for 15 years for fibromyalgia, that the diagnosis with missed because many of the symptoms mimicked withdrawal symptoms (tremor, increased bp and pulse rate, muscle cramps and spasms, fatigue, inability to concentrate…).
A beta blocker had already been prescribed for my skyrocketing blood pressure and pulse; it cause mild itching and coughing. I could live with that- the previous 3 blood pressure medications had caused intense itching and incessant coughing! I started taking methimazole 7 days ago, and by day two was itching fiercely, coughing much worse, nosebleeds, bleeding gums, and my tongue was covered with painful, swollen spots. It feels like I put in the blender.
I saw my endo yesterday, and he took me off the methimazole and wanted an immediate decision about trying PTU, RAI or surgery. A bit of push back bought me until tomorrow to decide- not a lot of time.
I'm spinning in circles! Because I've felt horrible for the last 10 months, and gone through 5 drugs with severe adverse reactions (none life threatening), I'm pretty nervous about taking yet another drug with potentially severe and life threatening side effects. Especially since the rate of successful remission is so low.
Both RAI and surgery are scary…. The length of time to stabilize after the treatment scares me.
I just want to be ME again! A year ago, I was a 62 year old masters competitor in Crossfit and Olympic Weightlifting, worked as a Certified Financial Planner for a major mutual fund company, hiked, biked, climbed and was looking forward to retirement to do more of those activities. Now I can barely walk my dog.
My husband and are planned a trip to Spain for most of September. My hope of feeling better by then has dimmed, if I can go at all.
Another factor in my treatment decision is that I have to obtain new health insurance and may be uninsurable by January when my COBRA runs out.
Ugh…sorry to whine so much. I'd love to hear how others have chosen their treatment modality, why, and your experience.
Thank you to all of you on this board for being here!