I am a 56 yo female diagnosed with Graves about 4 months ago. I was told to take Methamazole low dose for up to 18 months and “ wait and see” if my levels get better. I have had slight symptom improvement and am coming up on my first blood check. My symptoms do remain significant, especially weakness, high heart rate, thigh muscle pain, anxiety, insomnia. I have gained weight almost 30 pounds, I usually exercise but find it hard to do anything more than a walk, I get short of breath . My hands tremor , can’t drink coffee at all. I lost my job of 10 years ( laid off for restructuring) not because of call offs or anything but I do think my anxiety made me more aggressive at work and no one was sad to see me go lol!
My question is , is the 18 month struggle I may face worth it? My endo said I may have a 50/50 chance to reverse hyper with meds, would it be better to just have my thyroid inactivated and deal with hypothyroid with medication? I have heard that this is easier with more control over symptoms, is that true? Or is it worth the wait to see if my medication will eventually cure this? I need to look for a new job but hate to go into the stress of that until I feel better . I can’t wait 18 months to figure it out though.
So in anyone’s experience IS it worth it to “ wait and see”