Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 May 27, 2017 16:59:13

mojon

Orbital Decompression

tajkoont,

I was really worried about getting orbital decompression done. Once my Graves had burned out I had the surgery done. It was completely a breeze. They went in through my nose/sinuses. Not even any bruising, black eyes. You could hardly tell anything had happened. After a week of nose bleeds, I was 100%. If I knew it was going to be that easy, I would not have wasted so much of my time worrying. Also, I am over 50, so to clear me for surgery, they did an EKG (and Cardiac Stress Test) which turned out just fine. So no problems with the anesthesiology and surgery. If your doctor has recommended it, and your Graves has done what it's going to do, go for it. You will be very happy that you did. And yes, make sure to go to a doc who is familiar with, proficient in this specific surgery.

Lettuce know how you're doing and how it turns out.

#2 Feb. 28, 2019 10:21:08

tajkoont

Orbital Decompression

Hi all - I am getting ready to schedule the orbital decompression and I am scared to death - almost scared enough to not schedule it. I have never been put under before - very very scared. I am a bit hyper right now, which could be contributing to the anxiety. Was taken off methimazole briefly. Next blood test revealed no detectable TSH so I am adjusting to being back on it.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

#3 Feb. 28, 2019 16:05:33

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Orbital Decompression

Hello - I've not had an OD, but we've heard many success stories from patients who have. Having an experienced surgeon who has taken the time to go over the risks & benefits with you is key.

You might also be interested in joining our closed Facebook group for some additional feedback, as that group has more activity than this one. From the main FB Page, you can click Visit/Join Group.

https://www.facebook.com/GDATF/

Wishing you all the best!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

#4 March 1, 2019 04:15:57

Liz1967

Orbital Decompression

It is not as bad as you are anticipating. You might have two uncomfortable postop days. If you do not do it and your TED recurs, you run the risk of optic neuritis as you have no space to spare in your orbits. TED recurs more often than they previously thought. I have had one flareup three years after it was completely burned out. I was grateful that I had had the ODs because there was no pressure put on the nerve, just some irritation and worsening diplopia, all of which were resolved with a short course of high dose oral prednisone. It makes a huge difference in dryness and appearance. My life would be miserable if I had not had the orbital decompressions. I was 65 the first time I had general anesthesia for the thyroidectomy and I was scared, but it turned out to be no big deal. I have had it twice more, ODs and strabismus surgery, since then with no issues at all. You will be fine.

#5 May 24, 2019 16:25:13

Klavillotti

Orbital Decompression

Hello,

I am scheduling orbital decompression with Dr. Raymond Douglas. His office states that he does not partner with insurance, so my out of pocket is $11,000. We can cover that portion, but the surgery is actually taking place at LaPeer Surgical Center on Wilshire Blvd., and they will not give us a quote for anesthesia until we book the surgery. Once we book the surgery, we are locked in under contract. Does anyone know typical hourly anesthesia rates? The surgical center is also out of network for us. Their quote for ‘cosmetic’ anesthesia is $937 per half hour. There is no quote for insurance until we are billed. Thanks for all your help and support.

-Kaylan

#6 May 24, 2019 16:28:03

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Orbital Decompression

Hello and welcome - Pricing is a real challenge for any procedure, as there can be huge swings between the insurer's discount and the full price. Hopefully, someone who has had OD will be able to chime in here. Wishing you all the best!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

#7 May 28, 2019 05:45:57

tajkoont

Orbital Decompression

Hi there - I am in the same boat as you. I have not scheduled as I am also waiting for more information about the outpatient center/anesthesiologist as I could have to pay two deductibles (in network and out of network). Please, please please let me know if you get any additional information.

Also - very curious to know how your surgery goes. Would love to discuss your experience.

#8 June 7, 2019 13:16:11

tajkoont

Orbital Decompression

Kimberly,

After going through and understanding all of the billing for my orbital decompression - I don't think I can afford an out of network physician that doesn't bill even for out of network. Is there a resource to find another great surgeon? I am seriously bummed…

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Tania Osborn

#9 June 7, 2019 15:12:33

Liz1967

Orbital Decompression

I had my orbital decompressions done by Dr Douglas at Kellogg Eye in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We met his fellow, Shannon Joseph, who is now an attending surgeon there. Since she trained under Dr Douglas, she most probably does the procedure in the same manner he does and she might be a good choice. We were impressed with her. We drove to Ann Arbor from Cincinnati. You are close to Indianapolis and I know Dr Douglas recommended a surgeon there for emergency follow up should I need it after his move. You might ask his office who he recommends in Indianapolis, I forgot the name he gave us. I email Dr Douglas with any issues and that has worked well so have not needed to see anyone else.

#10 June 11, 2019 17:52:50

tajkoont

Orbital Decompression

Thank you! I appreciate your help.

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2019 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation