Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide
  • Forum Home
  • » GDATF
  • » Dr. Raymond Douglas Thyroid Eye Disease Q&A Session (From Monday, Jan. 9th, 2016) [RSS Feed]

#1 Dec. 21, 2016 10:01:14

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Dr. Raymond Douglas Thyroid Eye Disease Q&A Session (From Monday, Jan. 9th, 2016)

Hi all - the GDATF will be hosting a live Q&A session on thyroid eye disease on Monday, January 9th from 10-11:00 PST with TED expert Dr. Raymond Douglas!

To participate, all you have to do is post your questions in this thread, and Dr. Douglas will join us on Jan. 9th to answer them!

You can also visit Dr. Douglas' web page and Facebook Page here:

(Note on links: if you click directly on the following links, you will need to use your browser's “back” button to return to the boards after viewing, or you will have to log back in to the forum. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/thyroideyediseaseawareness/

Home Page: http://raymonddouglasmd.com/

We'd like to extend a huge thank you to Dr. Douglas for his commitment to patient education. Looking forward to lots of participation from this community!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

Edited Kimberly (Jan. 9, 2017 11:09:27)

#2 Jan. 6, 2017 09:25:14

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Dr. Raymond Douglas Thyroid Eye Disease Q&A Session (From Monday, Jan. 9th, 2016)

Bump - don't forget that Dr. Douglas will be here on the forum this Monday, January 9th at 10:00 Pacific time to answer your questions about thyroid eye disease!

If you have questions, please post them on this thread!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#3 Jan. 9, 2017 09:50:46

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Welcome, everyone, to our online thyroid eye disease (TED) chat with Dr. Douglas! Please feel free to post your questions on this thread, and Dr. Douglas will be joining us at 10:00 PST.

I'll kick us off with a few questions that have come up in the past on this forum…

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#4 Jan. 9, 2017 09:50:56

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

1. Are there supplements known to help TED?

2. Are there specific foods that I should eat or avoid if I have TED?

3. Once I've been through all the surgeries for TED, what are the chances it will come back?

4. Why do I have only one eye affected by TED?

5. What are the chances of a Graves' patient having severe enough TED to require surgical intervention? What can I do in terms of prevention?

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#5 Jan. 9, 2017 09:54:30

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

6. What is the role of steroid and radiotherapy in TED?

7. Are there any recommended books, websites for patients?

8. Does the choice of treatment affect my chances of getting TED? Specifically, does RAI increase the odds of worsening or new development of TED?

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

Edited Kimberly (Jan. 9, 2017 10:56:33)

#6 Jan. 9, 2017 09:59:50

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

From D.M.B. via Facebook:

Is there anything to help ease the pain from TED? I'm one month post op and still have the horrible pain as before surgery.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#7 Jan. 9, 2017 10:03:34

DrDouglas

Welcome !! I am happy to take your questions– please excuse any typos !

Pain from TED is usually two types– one from dryness which is sharp and stabbing and the other from orbital pressure

The pressure pain takes either an injection to relieve the a senroy nerve compression or surgery tasrgeting this nerve…

#8 Jan. 9, 2017 10:04:41

DrDouglas

if still having pain and pressure then it depends on the surgery done.. When we do surgery and there is pain pressure it is relieved 90% of the time

The injection also works about 90% of the time….

#9 Jan. 9, 2017 10:06:19

DrDouglas

Thanks so much !!

It has always been a pleasure working woth the GDATF. I began working with the group when in Los Angeles and now back in practice in Los Angeles it is a sincere pleasure

#10 Jan. 9, 2017 10:10:03

DrDouglas

Kimberly
1. Are there supplements known to help TED?

Selenium has been examined the most. It is a natural supplement and has very little toxicity when taken modestly (200mcg). IT has been show to help the eye symptoms in certain populations in Europe. It may also reduce antibody levels. I often suggest it to my patients when they are diagnosed to try for about 6 months.

It can be purchased at any health food store.

• Root
  • » GDATF
  • » Dr. Raymond Douglas Thyroid Eye Disease Q&A Session (From Monday, Jan. 9th, 2016) [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2020 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation