Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 Dec. 15, 2015 13:27:07

bigad

Men With Graves’ and TED

Thanks for the update Andy. Fortunately, I currently have a mild case of TED in the right eye. I was diagnosed with Graves in May 2013 and noticed some eyelid swelling over right eye in January 2014. I'm hoping my TED has burned itself out, or close to being burned out as they say.

The swelling has gone down, but my recent CT scan still showed some muscle swelling in back of eye, that pushed eye out about 3 mm, but not noticeable (I can tell the difference when staring in mirror). If that's the worst my eye gets, I'll be happy…I have no double vision, no problem closing eyelid and optic nerve looks good…but it sounds pretty scary that your TED reactivated several years later. My dad is 87 and had rai over 30 years ago…he takes synthroid and has no noticeable issues with TED.

#2 Dec. 23, 2015 07:32:05

redbeard1

Men With Graves’ and TED

Hi, my name is Dave and I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease in May of 2010. Since my diagnosis I have had 2 orbital decompressions and 2 eye muscle surgeries. My eyes are still not lined up, so I have to use one eye to see. I have vision in both eyes, but have extreme double vision when I try to use both at once. I have headaches all day, every day. The doctors I have gone to say they have done all they can for me. I get so frustrated some days. I have good days and bad days. The bad days are debilitating, in bed all day with cold rags on my eyes to try to ease the pain. If you can relate let me know. Thanks for listening. Dave

#3 April 28, 2016 19:11:57

snelsen

Men With Graves’ and TED

Great forum. I'm not a guy, but I sure do agree with Andy about his suggestion about closing one eye. I did that sooner than he did, and that is the ONLY reason I ended up with pretty good vision in that eye. I had an emergency decompression. It can happen very fast. Do see a neuro-opthalmologist to follow you closely if there is one in your area.
Shirley

TED 2008-present. OD for pressure on optic nerve 02/02/10
Eye muscle surgery 09/23/10 Upper eyelid surgery 02/01/11
Lower eyelids with grafts from palate, 10/5, 10/25/11
Graves dx/thyroidectomy 1959-Synthroid from 1980

#4 April 28, 2016 21:55:12

aggets

Men With Graves’ and TED

snelsen
Great forum. I'm not a guy, but I sure do agree with Andy about his suggestion about closing one eye. I did that sooner than he did, and that is the ONLY reason I ended up with pretty good vision in that eye. I had an emergency decompression. It can happen very fast. Do see a neuro-opthalmologist to follow you closely if there is one in your area.
Shirley

Hi Shirley

Glad to hear you your vision is “pretty good”. That is really important to check that other eye. I can never remember my DR. recommending to check that non dominant eye but it seems that it should be discussed with every patient with TED. That could literally save someones sight.

Andy

#5 May 2, 2016 03:36:24

Patsgirl

Men With Graves’ and TED

Hi Everyone,
I'm so relieved to have access to this thread! My husband was diagnosed with GD in Jan and had TT on April 1st. I'm hoping to learn from you how to best support him during the times of emotional upset and irrational behavior. He left me completely out the blue for several days. He has returned now but is distant most of the time. I love him with all my heart and hope he doesn't end our marriage while going through this disease!
Any suggestions, advice , or encouragement are welcome!
Thank you.

Jill

#6 May 15, 2017 11:01:50

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Men With Graves’ and TED

Hi Jill - Sorry I missed this post! You might also consider posting this on the main forum with the subject “Husband With Graves'”, as it will probably reach a wider audience.

Having thyroid levels out of balance absolutely affects emotions, so hopefully, he is getting good medical care.

Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at info@ngdf.org or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2017 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation