Hi Gatorgirl and Kimberly,
Thank you to both of you for your reply. I'm sorry I haven't had a chance to give my updates, but things have not been going well at work.
I finally got my potential surgery date: 24th of this month.
I'm still waiting for my documents that I need to sign and make a deposit payment…to be officially confirmed, but I'd say it's 99% confirmed.
I still haven't announced this to my boss.
I checked with the doctor, and this surgery is covered by provincial health care plan. It is due to medical reason, not cosmetic. Thank god.
Gatorgirly, my workplace is not nearly as nice as yours at a college. I believe people at college are much more nicer and humane.
I cannot disclose my medical condition to my boss, cause she uses it against you later on. A colleague quit in March due to her abusive behaviour. My buddy just found a new job so she is outta here in 2 weeks, cause she found this place very stressful and the boss very difficult to work with.
I am, in fact, in search of a new employment, which is why I've been silent since mid-June.
The HR dpt emailed me that I just need to submit a note from a doctor saying I cannot work for whatever reason & expected return date to work to someone in HR. Yes, my doctor advised me to be off for 2 weeks, due to the bruising which takes upto 2 weeks.
Given my workplace is very toxic, I plan on announcing this to my boss, most likely by email with a brief message. Whether I tell her in person or via email, she will freak out, especially since my colleague is leaving.
To tell you the truth, I recently got the upper management & HR involved, for the boss' abusive behaviour towards me. They don't seem to be doing much, and at the same time, this boss very upset at me.
Therefore, they may very well suspect that I plan on leaving this company.
According to provincial labor relation law, I am entitled to take my sick days off from work due to medical condition. There isn't much the boss can do about this, other than trying to bully me to work from home with a laptop…which, of course, I will refuse.
I will email her about 1 week prior to surgery, once I make my deposit fee.
Most likely, she will try to fire me for being off from work (for whatever reason, she doesn't really care), especially when someone just resigned.
I have 2 job interviews scheduled next week; I really hope at least 1 of them offers me a position, so that I can continue to work elsewhere after my surgery.
If she fires me before I go on surgery, which is my main concern right now, then I guess I'll be unemployed as of August. It's not sth I want, but I guess I have no choice.
I have been doing a great job, so I am curious to see under what reason she will decide to terminate my employment.
One of my eye looks really bigger than the other one, because of the eyelid retraction. I'm wondering if that's why I get asked often, “What's wrong? You look upset.”…although I am not upset (???).
Therefore, I don't think I can wait longer on this surgery.
My story got a bit side-tracked, sorry about that.
Dealing with my medical condition in a toxic workplace has not been helpful.
I am just hoping to find a new job asap.
Thank you guys, for the support.